American Girl in Italy

How does the blue mold get in Gorgonzola? Have you ever heard the rocks at Castiglioncello sing and why do writers always seek solace in Italy? Time for me to find the answers to these and see, if in doing so, I also find my home.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rome, RM, Italy

i am actually the lost royal heir to the small kingdom of Birundi...having been secreted away by my wet nurse when mean overlords arrived turning our little known, yet terribly chic fiefdom into a nasty republic. now my people sit glued with their eyes glazed.....dreaming of distant IRA's and stock options, having long forgotten the taste of sweet green olive oil and the scent of rosemary.

20 December 2003

Losing my Position

ok found out round about midnight last night (that is 6 pm USA time for the rest of the hamsters on the hamster wheel.....that my position with the great and all powerful OZ e finito! subito. just like that. i am ,as the Brits say, redundant!, insert colorful metaphor here!

spent last night having a pity part for myself and feeling like a total loser only to have about 15 phone calls today and a contingency of supportive friends show up at my house carrying supper fixin's (don't think there is an Italian equivalent for that phrase) and doing their best to cheer me up.

i know i don't have riches, or even a bank account to handle this shortfall but some things are worth more than euros in my pocket. in less than one years time i have managed to make a solid group of friends here that even in the middle of the trappings of Christmas, have taken the time to make sure i don't slit both my wrists. i am 41 years old, living in a strange land and will be jobless in less than one month. some people would be terrified, but these people have made me feel solid enough to face tomorrow. like my grandma always said. when life deals you lemons.....make lemonade. here's hoping she knew what the hell she was talking about.

ps...Jaap Stijl.....don't push my buttons....if i can write after a day like yesterday (even if just whining about the state of my own personal union) don't bust my chops about not keeping this blog active.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker